Archive for the ‘Mudbox’ Category
I have finally completed my polycystic kidney project for my advanced imaging techniques class. Once I completed my polycystic kidney in Mudbox I exported my model into 3ds Max. In 3ds Max one of the goals was to try as best as possible to make our models look the same as they did in Mudbox. The other goal was to render our scene in layers so that we could reconstruct it in Photoshop, and make it look the same. Within photoshop I was able to exaggerate, tone down or create any effects I chose. So below is the final version of my project in the form of a poster.
Painting in Mudbox has been really fun. It’s very interesting the types of effects and textures that you can get with varying layers. So below is the completion of the modeling of my normal right kidney and my polycystic left kidney, and the beginning of my painting. The polycystic kidney has proven to be the most fun both modeling and painting. I have really enjoyed creating the effects that I have so far by using many different layers. I really like how my cysts have turned out. So now I have some nit-picky things that I would still like to do on my kidney’s, but I really do like how they have turned out so far.
As an exercise in my advanced imaging class we had to take the 3D photo of our faces from my Computer Visualization class and retopologize it within Mudbox. After retopologizing our face we were to play around with all the different tools available in Mudbox, and do different things to ourselves and have fun. I had a really good time giving myself a big afro.
Well my summer semester has started off with a bang. In this advanced imaging techniques class that I am taking we will be learning how to use Mudbox. Our first assignment is to create a polycystic kidney and contrast it with a normal kidney in any layout that we desire. To begin we were given DICOM data of an actual person that we brought into Mimics to extract a normal kidney and ureter. Below is the beginning process of how I extracted the kidney and the ureter from the DICOM data.
From there I brought my kidney’s and ureter’s into 3ds Max. The goal now was to retopologize and UV Map the kidney’s and ureter’s. We were given the option to do this in 3ds Max or within Mudbox. I decided to begin in 3ds Max and see if I remembered how to do everything that I learned from last semester. Below is the extracted data that I imported into 3ds Max and my retopology and uv mapping of the right kidney.
Even though I like doing this process within 3ds Max I wanted to try using Mudbox. Firstly, to bring what I extracted from Mimics into Mudbix I first had to import my kidney’s and ureter’s into 3ds Max and then export them as a file recognizable by Mudbox. I found that I liked using Mudbox for the retopolpgy and uv mapping just as much as I liked doing it within 3ds Max. The best part being that within Mudbox the uv mapping is done for you. Below are my completed kidney’s and ureter’s. On Tuesday we will be learning more about sculpting and will be beginning the process of turning a normal kidney into a polycystic kidney. I’m really excited for that.