Archive for February, 2012|Monthly archive page

Computer Visualization: 1st Assignment Completed

I have finally completed my medical instrument for my computer visualization class. I like how it turned out though there are still a few things that I would like to fix. There is some extra glare on the tubing in the blue plastic. I do not like it, and it was one of the problems that I was not able to completely figure out. It has to do with the material map that I placed on my object as well as the camera angle. Except for that one piece I like the the outcome of the renders.

Of course I can clearly see now, that I have finished this project, that there were so many ways of completing certain parts of my instrument in a quicker and more efficient manner. Honestly I think if I did the medical instrument from scratch again it would probably come about quicker and with less quirks then my current version.

I have learned a lot in the modeling and texturing for this first assignment, and there is still so much more to learn in the coming weeks.

Advertisements

Exercise in Photoshop

This  rose was an exercise assigned to my class by professor. We were  given a sketch, as well as a black and white photograph of a rose. I rendered the rose using the brush tool in photoshop. I probably spent more time on this exercise yesterday then I should of compared to the many other projects that I have due much sooner, but I had so much fun.

Computer Visualization: 1st Assignment

So for the past few weeks I have been working on my first assignment in my computer visualization class. The project is to create a 3D model of an approved medical instrument from my professor. I do not know the exact name of my medical instrument, but I do know that it is inserted into the trachea. Creating the basic shape of my model was not too difficult, but certain pieces did give me some trouble. The little blue piece of plastic for example took some thinking outside of the box to create it.

I am at the stage now where I am trying to as accurately as possible render my medical instrument and make it look real. To create the plastic look on my instrument I used an architectural standard material and within that I selected plastic. The problem that I am having is that this tool can create weird gaps at certain places. So, I working on making small changes to make it work correctly. These are a few scene shots of my progress so far.

2nd Illustration Techniques Assignment

This is the beginning of my second assignment for my Illustration techniques class.  For this assignment I have to create a series of illustrations, 3 steps minimum, depicting a diagnostic or therapeutic medical process or non-surgical procedure. I decided to depict an Esophagogastroduodenoscopy. The word is a mouthful to say, but it is also known as an Upper endoscopy or a Gastroscopy. I have gone through different versions of orienting my steps on the page and so far I like this setup. Once I talk with my professor and get feedback from him and my classmates I will make the necessary revisions. In creating the final product of this illustration I have to use Adobe Illustrator. I am allowed to use gradient fills, flat fills, and blends as necessary  to add to the illustration if I wish.

 

Assignment 1: Illustration Techniques – Pen and Ink

This is the final version plus labels for my first assignment in my Illustration Techniques class. I worked on the finished piece in adobe Photoshop, but for all of my practice I worked traditionally with a pen holder, pen nibs, and ink.

I really enjoyed working on this project. I found that working with pen and ink was actually harder than I first thought. I had to have patience and I had to work very slowly, both traditionally and on the computer. Overall, I am very happy with the end result of my illustration.

Pen and Ink Technique: Pancreas

More 3ds Max texturing

This is my latest attempt at texturing in 3ds Max. This proved to be rather frustrating at times especially trying to make the biohazard label look correct. It’s backwards and no matter what I tried the label would not turn around. I’m sure that there is a simple way to correct this problem even though I have not found it yet.

I am determined to find the solution, and I still find it fun to see what affects I can create on objects.